Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Finding Your Voice as a Parent

You are not obligated to ...

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

085b059c7da867961fc4f34d97042ed405c5a531.jpeg

I don't know about other parents, but I feel severe pressure when I am done shopping and I have to pull up to the check out area.

It is bad enough that I have my own shopping addictions I am dealing with.

When I pull up I feel anxiety. You can see the sweat beads appearing on my face.

If you were in the store, you would hear the fake uncomfortable conversations that I try to engage my kids in. Simply to take their minds off this moment.

What am I talking about?

I am talking about the gadget or snack at the check out counter that entices my children.

Then they give me the look with those sad puppy dog eyes and ask me sweetly, "can I have this mommy?"

Sweetly can turn into demanding tantrums in no time though.

It is as if, they have ran across the greatest item they have ever seen and they need it now.

Then I start have these mixed emotions. Depending on the crowd, I make my decisions purely off my own emotions and guilt.

Initially, I want to say no because there is no reason why children who have a ton of toys need one more.

It is ridiculous.

Yet, I feel obligated because they are my children and I want them to be happy. I also want to speed up my time in line and prevent them from whining and crying.

The other part of me feels obligated because of how others may view me.

What will the people behind me think? Will they think I am a cheap mom or a mom who can't afford a small item for my kids?

But then if I give in, will they think I am a whimp of a mom who allows my kids to run over me?

Honestly, what other think of me should not even matter. If anything it is probably my ego getting the best of me. I am sure there are way less people even paying me attention than I would like to think.

The fact of the matter is, we are not obligated to buy those items. We have to find ways to let our children know that they are not entitled to every damn thing they see.

Hell, it takes hard work to make the coins we make and wasting them on items that are usually later found in a pile of junk is not beneficial.

But if you are a mom like me, who usually falls for the gadget or snack at the register crap, just order your groceries online.

It will save you a lot of trouble!

HA

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.