Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: WHO Are You?

What all Moms Should Know About Pest Control Chemicals and Children

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Before using pest control chemicals to combat mosquitoes, bugs and rodents that seem to frequent your premises and put your kids at risk, you should first consider what the substance in the chemicals can do to your children. Since pesticides usually carry toxics in them, the risk of affecting infants and children are greater than in adults. Therefore, knowing about the type of substance you use to control pests in and around your house is necessary for the healthy growth of your child or children.

Children are More at Risk

Children often come into contact with dangerous chemicals after touching certain objects that the pesticide is sprayed on such as baseball, baseball bat, toys and grass on the lawn as well as other things. In fact, most infants after handling the items such as the ones mentioned, often put their fingers in their mouth and thus the pesticide substance is transferred from into their system.

In addition, since your child is not an adult and therefore is still developing, when he or she absorbs into the lungs poisonous pesticide substance, it is difficult for the liver and kidney to flush the compound from out of the body, unlike an adult’s body that is already developed. Thus therefore, your child or children can end up being sick or worse dead from the effects of the chemicals in the pesticide.

How to Prevent Your Child From Pesticide Harm

If you should happen to use pesticides in or around the home, take the following tips seriously:

Keep pesticide out of reach of children

Make sure to have a safe area where you store your pesticide when not in use so that your toddler cannot reach it. You should store them in a locked cabinet that is well ventilated. A locked garden shack outside the house will do just fine. Avoid storing them in areas where flooding is most likely to occur as this can cause them to spread and even poison some of your child’s drinking water.

Choose a pesticide that is low toxic

Choosing a product that is low toxic can help to eliminate danger to your child. By first carefully reading the product label on the container and learning the level of toxicity in the substance, you can limit toxic danger to your kid. In addition, carefully reading the product label on the container for proper directions will help you understand better how to keep your child safe from poisonous effects.

Train Your Child to Wash his or her Hands Before Eating

Most children today will start eating food before first washing their hands. If by chance they should handle toys that have been in areas where chemical pesticides were being used, there is a good chance they can get sick. Therefore, teach your child from early to wash his or her hands before eating. It’s better to be safe than sorry later.

Keep Your Child Away From Pets That has Pesticide on Them

If you spray your pet with fleas or ticks killing pesticide, there is a good chance that if your child should touch the pet the pesticide will transfer to him or her hands. It is better to separate your pet from your child after spraying by keeping it in an isolated area until the substance is completely dried. If the child should touch the pet and the pesticide is not yet dried, there is a good chance that he or she will put his or her hands into the mouth and thus getting exposed to toxic poisoning.

Teach Your Child about Pesticide Harm

A sure way to help your child avoid pesticide harm to him or her is by providing early childhood training. By letting your child know from early about the dangers of pesticide substance, you are actually providing knowledge that can later save his or her life.

Keeping your child safe from pesticide harm can be a challenging task at times for you to handle. However, with patient determination on your part you can make him or her safe and grown healthy. The reward is you will have a child around for the long duration that will bring plenty joy in your life.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.