Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Why I Love My Mom Bod

Goals Redefined

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

e0731d68c24e559c0c4af3c201ef7ce8021609ee.jpeg

e1e22b783ca260e73931f03fc7a5bf719143aa08.jpeg

It is a cool, sunny, impossibly-perfect Florida fall day. The kids are all at school, my Starbucks is nestled in the cup holder beside me, Thanksgiving is in a few days, and I have tears of joy streaming down my face in the parking lot of Old Navy.

Let me back up. I have either been gaining weight or on a diet since I was 15. Fed up with constantly having to think about what I was eating, and struggling not to impose my unhealthy relationship with food onto my daughter, I kinda just woke up one day and made a decision. No matter what, I would never diet again. Don’t get me wrong: I wasn’t deciding to become flippant about my health. I simply refused to ever track, log, or calculate another calorie, point or carb.

I was determined to learn how to make mostly healthy choices (allowing for reasonable indulgences) without being “on” something. I joined a gym that did group classes and committed to showing up three times a week to get my butt kicked for an hour. I used organic protein and produce subscriptions to challenge myself to cook with primarily whole, nutritious food. I would allow my body to find where it wanted to land, and work on the mental health I was lacking. I decided to devote my energy to loving and accepting my body instead of fighting so hard to create a body my (less than healthy) mind thought acceptable.

I archived the Instagram account I had dedicated to nutrition and workouts. I stopped taking pictures of my food. I unfollowed accounts that where focused on “changing” or “transforming” people’s bodies, and I sought out pages that showcased woman of many shapes and sizes. And I stopped talking about it. All of it.

Here comes the hard part: I put on weight.

I didn’t react immediately. However when my clothes began to feel uncomfortable and I realized they where not in any way flattering, the thoughts of diet shopping began to float through my mind. I would get up in the morning and dread getting dressed because it made me feel gross. All of the self-hatred began to reappear.

But this time was different. I knew I had to break the gain/loose cycle. I drove out to Old Navy and I bought myself two pairs of jeans two sizes larger than the ones I currently owned. When I tried them on, I felt amazing. ‘Look at how cute these are!’ I thought to myself. I even grabbed some new lipgloss and made a mental note to make a hair appointment.

I got back to my car and thought about how confident I was going to feel in my new threads. I mulled over what I would do with my makeup, and how much my husband was going to love seeing me so happy. I realized this would be the first Thanksgiving that I ate all the familiar favorites with my family. I thought about my daughter watching me smile, and not hearing me obsess over any of it.

I thought about all of the posts I had seen of people in dressing rooms hitting their “goal size” . Here I was, in tears, so proud of this body and all it had accomplished. I will always remember this moment as the day I finally fit into my goal size: fits.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.