Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Kids with Special Needs

Finding hope while raising a child with developmental delays

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

“Up! Up! Up!” He insists going up the steep, ascending railroad tie steps.

“No!” He yells when I reach for his little hand.

“No!” He demands after I place my arm gently behind his shoulder to guide him.

"No!” He answers when I offer to help.

People ask me how I find joy in the midst of raising a child with developmental delays. I think this picture is a great visual.

I could focus on the fact that this isn’t how I pictured my life to be; that I didn’t envision having a child who needed adaptive braces tightly velcroed around his feet and ankles and shoved inside this special pair of hard-soled tennis shoes.

Or I could feel defeated knowing our family’s schedule revolves around dozens of home visits, therapy appointments, evaluations and insurance battles.

Also, I could wish he didn’t need to wear a binder swaddled firmly around his abdomen to stablize his core.

Or I could be frustrated that his speech delay makes our communication more challenging.

I could, and I often do feel all of these things.

ae7970742a262b057faab1bc0a01ab1e9568eda0.jpeg

But when I look at this picture, I choose to find hope in my son’s strength and fierce determination.

I believe his courage to tackle the bumpy, uknown road ahead will take him places I can only dream of.

And I accept that even though I wouldn’t have wished for my child to have developmental delays, we will keep our own pace…one step at a time.

I choose to find hope in his journey, even when things are moving along a bit slower than I’d like.

We’ll continue celebrating each step along the way, regardless of where the path takes us together.

This post was originally published on ShelleySkuster.com

Related video:

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.