Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Life Changes

The Little Things Aren't So Little: A letter to my son on his 1st Birthday

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

As my only son's first birthday quickly approaches, I can't help but hope that I'll never forget the "little things." This year has brought our family so much joy and taught me so much. I've learned that the little things and the little moments aren't so little.

Photo Courtesy of J-larue Photography

I've taken thousands of pictures and videos throughout this year and it still doesn't seem like enough. I remember rolling my eyes when every other mom told me to enjoy the first year of my son's life because it goes by so fast. How was I supposed to take them seriously as I was impatiently awaiting our son to be born two weeks after my due date? I believe that most pregnant women will agree that in those last few weeks of pregnancy it seems like time is standing still. How could the two slowest weeks of my life transform into the fastest year?

180de17ab81ac83304782048da0727e9eee4e57c.jpg

I had plans to take monthly pictures of my son in the cute numbered onesies and write detailed descriptions about how he grew each month. I told myself that by his first birthday his baby book would be complete...but the truth is that I didn't pose him monthly for pictures or document his height and weight and he doesn't even have a baby book. I'm still searching for the perfect one.

I remember how I felt the first time he said mama, but I can't tell you exactly what day it was. Instead, I decided to write him a letter each year so that I never forget the little things and although I know he won't remember this year, I want him to always know how special this year was for our family and how special he is to us.

4c1ee20711351c0a4eec920a5464b316dd5c79ff.jpg

Dearest Baby Boy,

When you are old enough to read this, you will not be a baby anymore. Before you were born, it was hard for us to imagine what life with you would be like. Now we can't imagine our life without you. Your over the top squinty smile lights up a room and you are quick to command everyone's attention. I sometimes call you big cheesy because there is just no other way to describe the facial expressions you make.

I hope I never forget the sound of your loud belly laugh and I love that you think I'm the funniest person in the world. Although you learned to say "Dada" first, "Mama" is your favorite word.

The first time you tried to stand up by yourself you fell down. I rushed to you thinking you would cry but you didn't. You brushed it off and stood back up. I hope you always get back up when life knocks you down.

Some might call you stubborn, but I like to say you are determined. There is no doubt you will be able to accomplish anything you set your mind to. I know this is true because nothing stands in the way between you and your "Bobba", (AKA bottle) or TV remote and we've already had several stern discussions to inform you that you are not the bedtime boss.

You are the sweetest little soul and you love to show affection by giving Eskimo kisses or just pressing your forehead against mine. I'll never forget the first time you planted a big wet slobbery kiss on my cheek when I picked you up after a long day at work. You were so proud of yourself and I was proud of you too.

Now that we have you with us, we worry more and have new fears that only a parent understands. Your Daddy and I will always promise to do our best to teach you right from wrong and keep you safe. In a crazy world full of so much evil, we promise to show you the good. We promise to show you how to love others the way we love you and our God loves us. I hope you always know how precious you are.

Love,
Your "Mama"

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.