Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Open Discussion

Stop saying children were placed for adoption because of love

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

072e04ba70a96eb1d44e531007a122b10ac84019.png

Why this common explanation proves harmful to adoptees.

I recently came across the social media feed of adoptee El Nic, who shares daily reels and Instagram stories about her closed adoption experience. As an adoptive parent, I’m constantly seeking out birth parents and adoptee feeds in order to learn from other members of the triad, and El Nic’s perspective is one of the most insightful I’ve found so far.

In December, she shared a reel labeled, “No Adoptee Was Given Away Because They Were Loved.” While many of the commenters disagreed with her sentiment, I found myself watching the reel over and over, in disbelief that it had taken me so long to understand this obvious truth. I, too, have been guilty of saying the words, “Their mother placed them for adoption out of love,” and now I fully understand how damaging these words can be to an adopted child or adult.

Don’t misunderstand me — I believe most birth families love the child they chose to place, but that love is the not the reason they chose adoption. The real reason can be anything — age, finances, lack of emotional support, substance abuse, health issues, mental health, circumstances surrounding the conception or pregnancy, education or career pursuits, the list goes on. But the reason is never because they loved them so much. As El Nic explains, “I would never look at my puppy and say, ‘I love him so much, I’m going to give him away!’ No! I would give him away if I couldn’t feed him!”

It’s so obvious to me now that telling a child they were placed for adoption “because they were loved” is not only untrue, but terribly confusing. What does it teach a child about love? How will they ever feel secure if they are taught that being loved leads to abandonment? As an adoptive mother, I understand how difficult it can be to explain the circumstances of adoption in age-appropriate ways, but it’s my job to do so. As my son grows, I will be sure to make it extraordinarily clear to him how much his birth family loves him, but I will never use that love as an explanation for his placement. Instead, I will say, “Your birth family loved you. They chose Daddy and I to be your parents because…”

Thank you to the adoptees and birth parents who so bravely share their perspectives for the benefit of young and future adoptees.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.