Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Why I Love My Mom Bod

My Mom Bod is a Gift

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

I look at a photo my husband took of me and our boys at a recent outing. Like most pictures of myself, I let out a heavy sigh as I analyze how I look in the photo. Our boys are so beautiful I often feel like I blemish the moment captured on camera. My mom bod sure isn't the same that it used to be.

My mom bod has some extra pounds than my pre-kid body did.

My mom bod has thicker thighs and rounder arms.

My mom bod has a softer tummy and wider rear.

My mom bod has grey hairs and dark under eye circles.

My mom bod doesn't fit into tight clothes like it used to.

My mom bod is tired, but it is oh so happy.

Those extra pounds came from growing and carrying two babies, and nursing them for over a year.

Those thicker thighs and rounder arms provide the support and shelter of mom's arms.

The softer tummy provides the perfect comfort for snuggles.

The grey hairs and dark circles are reminders of late-night lullabies.

Form-fitting clothes have been swapped out for clothes that give me the comfort to chase around my two little boys.

My mom bod isn't what I imagined it would be, but it's a gift.

I was blessed to grow and deliver two healthy babies. I was able to provide nutrients for my babies for well over the first year of their lives. My body reflects this journey, and for that I am grateful.

As a woman with type 1 diabetes, I wasn't sure what my motherhood journey would look like. I wasn't sure if healthy pregnancies were possible. But I worked hard to be as healthy as possible for my babies. My body gave me two precious gifts, so how can I be mad at it for giving me everything I had ever hoped for?

Your mom bod might not be what you imagined, and maybe you don't always like the way it looks in pictures, but it worked hard to make you a mom. Maybe it's time we start cutting our mom bods some slack.

914f3fb22415995b53665dfe72565021e381d922.jpeg

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.