My mother has taught me many valuable lessons that have helped shape my life. The advice I received from her was not specifically contained in any one sentence or in a formal heart-to-heart conversation, but in many discussions throughout my life. My Mother is caring, giving, nurturing, ever so patient, quietly hopeful and above all loving. But her best quality was to teach by example. That is the kind of life my mother has lived. She has inspired me in all areas by being a living example of what it is to be a wife, mother and friend.
Here are the top ten lessons about life and love my sweet mother graciously taught me that have touched every aspect of my life and affected the majority of decisions I've made.
- She encouraged me to seek out, listen to and accept with humility advice from people wiser than myself.
- Mom instilled in me a great sense of confidence and the ability to stand up for myself. Despite the fact that sometimes I was a little nervous, I stepped out and did what I felt led to do when I thought the time was right.
- Mom may not know it but she taught me to be slow to anger. I cringe when I think of how I must come across at times, and how long it has taken me to change my ways. I’ve learned to stop and think before I react and more importantly to choose my battles well.
- My mother showed me relationships take work, compromise and dedication! Marriage vows are sacred, far stronger than any bumps or potholes along life's highway. It's a decision you make every day. She taught me love was NOT a feeling!
- She always made a point of making sure I understood that on the road of life, there’s no point in blaming others when you fail. So my failures? I never have any doubt whom they can be traced back to.
- Communication, Communication, Communication! She taught me to speak up and ask for what I want as a woman. NEVER assume others are going to know what you need. No one will be reading your mind - you could be waiting forever!
- Mom taught me that managing losses is a challenge I must be up to! You can never give in to it. Learning that failing over and over in life is all apart of success.
- My mother taught and modeled what it means to be a good friend to others.Be a good friend to find a good friend. And how to be a caring, listening and loving friend.
- She explained to me that there were going to be times in my life that would be difficult, and that I have the choice as to how I react to those situations. I can either laugh or cry; I can get mad or be happy. The question is how would I rather live?
- And lastly, my mother showed me how important and valuable I am. Whether she took the time to teach me how to sew, bake a new cake or drove all night to pick me up from college just because I was sick, Mom taught me to never let others underestimate my worth.
This list of valuable lessons are but a few things Mom taught me. These precious attributes were not always spoken. My mother didn't sit me down, look me in the eye and so, "Okay, here's what you do....", honestly, I don't think I would have listened. However, growing up, I had no idea of the wise counsel Mom was 'LIVING' in front of me daily and how it would someday impact my life. The life my mother lived is invaluable, not only to her daughters but her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I love, respect and admire Mom for her parenting style, teachings, and leadership. I am proud to pass on her lessons to my children.