Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Share your mom lessons

Life Lessons

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

7bbb385e8b4f5b7f603c41f914aabf3bb8f1bd2a.jpg

Although she passed away a decade ago, my mother lives on through our memories and our love. More importantly, she continues to inspire generations (both old and new) with the legacy she left behind. Throughout my formative years, she and my father emphasized the value of family, hard work, honesty and education. Beyond those important parental lessons, my mother also instilled in me a deep love of reading, a thirst for knowledge, and the ability to be truly content with my own company. As I moved into adulthood, our relationship grew and changed, but her lessons continued. She mentored me through both career and life, and taught not only through conversation but more importantly through example. Upon her diagnosis (stage 4 terminal cancer), she imparted some of the most meaningful lessons of all. Throughout her illness, she continued through her actions to reinforce the value and importance of family, hard work, honesty and education. Most would seek comfort in this situation, but my mother instead sought to reassure others, all the while planning and preparing for the eventuality of the situation. Margaret Logue Burton was the epitome of courage and strength; carrying forward with a wicked sense of humor, a straight-forward and matter of fact honesty and an unflagging determination to beat cancer for as long as she was able. She was grace personified. It is my fervent hope that I can one day live up to her example. While she is not here in body, she always remains in spirit. As I write this, memories abound of the abundant family vacations, the time she stole my father’s keys, the humorous tales of being stared at while she slept, the apology letter she made me write to the teacher who gave me detention, the time she and her twin sister ran away from home with a packed lunch, the joy she wore on her face whenever she was around her two grandchildren, the tough love she bestowed on me during my teenage years, her delight in the chunky monkey bird in the back yard... the list goes on. Her light, laughter, love and lessons will live on.

Happy Mother's Day weekend, Mom!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.