Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Moms Helping Moms

Five Things

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Five things I wish someone would have told me the day my daughter was diagnosed with Autism.

Breathe. Take a deep breath Momma. Breathe in, and breathe out. Yes, you need early intervention, yes there will be IEPs, yes there are a hundred things to do, but take a deep, deep breath. You don’t have to do everything

fb47ef7e105ea492ededcd0d65ae8df08c08ea64.jpg

all in one day.

This is not the end. I know the future seems bleak. That “what ifs” are the WORST. But think of this as a brand new chapter to your child’s book, not the last.

The world of Autism is not as scary as you think. In fact, it’s the complete opposite. This world has brand new colors, emotions, seasons, and so much more. Your child will show you and teach you more things than you could ever imagine!

It’s going to be hard, but so worth it. I won’t sugar coat things for you. Being a special needs parent and having a child with a disability is not easy. In fact, on many days, it takes everything in you to keep your head above water. But loving your child in all the ways THEY need is so worth it! They need you! You will find that strength deep inside you, even on the hardest and darkest days.

You are not alone. Let me repeat that. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! You are not the only one going through the struggles you’re facing! There are so many of us that want you to know that! There will be times you feel like no one understands what you’re going through, but WE DO! I’m here for you! And I know an entire group (troop) of parents that are here for you too!

I pray for strength in the days ahead, wisdom in the years ahead, and that you always know that you are not alone! You’ve got this!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.