Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: NICU Parenting

April 20,1999 - Columbine tragedy... Dalton is born!

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

April 20th, 1999 – the world remembers Columbine, we remember our son being born 9 weeks early…

It was April 19th at 11pm, when Michelle got up feeling tremendous pressure in her abdomen. What we witnessed next was exactly what NO ONE wants to see. She made it to the bathroom floor, called for Keith, and was lying in a pool of blood. She had a partial tear of her placenta. On the previous Friday, she had checked herself into the hospital, knowing something was not right. The doctors gave our son steroid shot in case he came early to help with his lung development. After an ambulance ride to the hospital, Dalton was born 9 weeks early. He was actually due on Father’s Day.

I can remember driving back to our home to get my wife a change of clothes when I heard about a shooting at a school in Colorado. I thought to myself that my son’s birthday will be remember for this horrible event, but God reminded me that Dalton is part of the rest of the story. His life will be one to lead people to God, quite the opposite of what happened on his birthday.

It was over a month that he was in the NICU, with the best care in the world (Nashville’s Baptist Hostpital). Our son came home.

Here are a few pictures of my son at his birth. He just turned 18, plays football for the Carroll Dragons in Southlake TX, and loves the Lord with all his heart. So, for all of you parents with little ones in NICU, they do grow up, and in some cases, eat you out of house and home!

What a blessing to share this with you!

Keith & Michelle Gray

Southlake, TX

Michelle holds Dalton for the first time

6'1

18 years later...

9 weeks early...

Senior Picture - Class of 2018

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.