Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Halloween Parade

5 Ways to Safely Celebrate Halloween 2020

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

2020 has changed everything we know - including Halloween. It's far from cancelled. Just different. But that does not mean it can't be fun! Here are a few ways our family is celebrating and enjoying the holiday this year.

Boo Your Neighbors

We were first "Boo-ed" by neighbors about 4 years ago. My son thought it was so fun - the unexpected discovery of a Halloween bucket of treats left on our porch mid-month. We quickly created two to share with other neighbors and did our best to sneakily drop them off (we were caught by one dog who barked loudly from inside! LOL).

Boo Basket

Fun Boo Basket from our Neighbors

This year Boo-ing is another way to continue a normal tradition and maintain a safe distance from our neighbors. We opted for a sneakier, evening walk after dark to carefully drop off gifts on two porches. I didn't hear any barking dogs so I think we were successful in maintaining the mystery this year.

Costumes

Is Halloween even Halloween without the costumes? We think not. We may not have parties and trunk or treat events to attend this year. Our kids will not be trick or treating. But we will be continuing our tradition of family themed costumes. This is part of the holiday fun we all look forward to each year.

Whether you have Halloween plans or will just be spending the evening at home - get dressed up! Parade around the house. Turn on music and have a family dance party. Watch a movie in costume. It's all fun and will help make the evening special.

Reverse Trick or Treating

We've been filling bags and preparing to safely share fun on Halloween. After lunch, we'll all dress in costumes and take a walk to neighbor's homes leaving the bags on their doorsteps. No bell ringing. No knocking. Just a quick wave if they spot us from the window as we stop by.

Reverse Trick or TreatingReverse Trick or Treating

Neighborhood Parade

Our neighborhood is hosting a "parade" (ie, socially distanced walk looping around our neighborhood). We did the same on July 4th and it worked out really well. Everyone was cautious of keeping distance as they joined in or stayed in their yards to watch the festively decorated bikes, strollers, wagons, and people go past.

Star Wars Themed Face Masks - Halloween 2020

Star Wars Themed Face Masks - Halloween 2020

Our family of 4 will be dressed up to participate. I've even created face masks to coordinate with our costumes for a little extra caution in case we do come within 6' of neighbors during our walk.

Halloween Movie Night

In past years we've spent the evening walking our entire neighborhood as the kids excitedly trick or treated at nearly every house. Stopping only when their little legs were finally tired of walking and their arms (plus ours) tiring of carrying all the loot. Since we'll be in early this time following the parade, we're planning a movie night! We'll be making popcorn and pulling up a Halloween flick or two on the family room TV. Then cozying up on the sofa to watch. A new tradition and one I'm looking forward to.

Merlin & Archimedes the Owl - Halloween 2018

Merlin & Archimedes the Owl - Halloween 2018

We wish you and your family a very safe and happy Halloween 2020!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.