Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Open Discussion

35 Things I've Learned in my 35 Years

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

75ec1dd14d91a38f5ccb53fba02ed4ae57bf0f5e.jpg

Now that we have entered my birthday month and it has become a realization that in less than 3 weeks I will be closer to 40 than 30... Here are some things I’d like to share.

35 things I’ve learned in my 35 years:

1. There will never be enough time. Just make your peace with it.

2. 2 good hair days in a row do not exist. It’s not your fault. I blame God. And humidity.

3. Kids are gross. Boys pee on everything. Buy all the Clorox and hold on tight when using a toilet after them.

4. Buy the good deodorant. Stress sweating is a real thing (insert image of Joey from friends with the “meat sweats”).

5. Use your car time wisely. Sometimes it’s the only alone time you’ll get. Sitting in silence is totally acceptable. Using your Bluetooth to rapid fire call the 14 friends you haven’t talked to in 8 months, also acceptable.

6. Cherish your relationships. At this age, they are no longer fleeting. These are your people.

7. Laugh. A lot. It’s good for the soul and it’s impossible to be in a bad mood when you’re laughing. Silver lining: it’s almost always contagious.

8. If you find a beauty product you love, stock up on it. They almost always discontinue them while you’re in your groove with them.

9. Write things down. Document. You won’t want to forget... but you will. This stage of life is a feeder for lack of focus.

10. Spend one on one time with your kids. It will be a game changer for your well being. And they’ll remember it forever.

11. Date your spouse. This life level is hard. It’s easier to just go go go and check mark the to do list. You loved him first. Don’t lose or forget that.

12. If you want the carbs, eat the carbs. Don’t eat ALL the carbs, but eat them.

13. Find a good movement routine that suits you. Exercise, maybe. But anything that keeps you active.

14. Drink water. I mean...drink wine too if you want to... but drink water. Your body will thank you.

15. Find a good skincare routine and stick to it. The wrinkles and bags are no joke when that freight train starts moving.

16. Your children are tiny versions of you. Scary, right?

17. Sleep. Even if it’s in 3-4 hour increments. You’re not 20 anymore and you need rest.

18. Listen to your kid tell you a 37 minute story about Minecraft. It’s important to him. Doze off with your eyes open if you need to, but listen.

19. Call your parents. And your grandparents if you still have them. They won’t always be there. Remember, that will be you one day.

20. Take the vacation. There will always be reasons not to. Take it.

21. Always keep 2 pairs of sunglasses in your vehicle. You will, inevitably, sit on them and break them regularly. You’ll want back up.

22. Binge watch crime documentaries.

23. Get a dog.

24. Invest in a tankless hot water heater. Unlimited hot water. You’ll thank me later.

25. Save money. When you can. Where you can. You’re going to want to retire someday.

26. If you’re not doing something you love for a living, take the steps to find what that is and do it. Life is too short to not love your job.

27. Be your own person. Unashamed. If you’re naturally loud, own it.

28. Use your gift. We all have one. Find a way to use it.

29. Switch to Apple products. You’re welcome.

30. Don’t judge anyone. Ever. Leave the karensharonbrenda at home. Everyone has a story and you don’t know it.

31. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a walk outside. The fresh air will calm you.

32. Make goals. Write them down. Track them. And hold yourself accountable to reach them.

33. Always give people the benefit of the doubt.

34. Do something that scares you at least once a month.

35. Love hard. Be quick to forgive. And be the bigger person...say I’m sorry when you should.

Holla to all my other ‘84 mamas! 🗣 3️⃣5️⃣

Love and Hugs,
Nicki Momming all the Boys

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.