Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Parenting Resolutions

>>2016<< a new year, a new version, no need for resolution.

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

my mini juviniles : Lainybug (L), Hannah bean (R)
-->> a H A P P Y new year.
ball drops | clean slate | the year is NEW and so are you!

The year of chalk art, glitter + selfies has ended... Ha. Just kidding! I'm pretty sure all of the above will just become more 2016ish.

I'm not really one for resolutions. However, the idea of them is exciting and trying to work on something NEW is great, but I'm fully aware and accepting of the fact that in many ways I may return to myself from the previous year and continue with the routine of life that I'm comfortable with. If you can believe it, I do consider myself a very optimistic person (even though this may not read that way)...

I'm not saying I can't or won't start something new, I'm not saying I won't make or accomplish goals and I'm not faulting those who do make huge changes. To be honest... my belief is that a change of a date and the transition of a new year shouldn't be what ignites significant change. BUT, our society says it should and well... it works for many people. On the flip side, a new year can leave some people dissapointed, ashamed, doubtful, and unhappy that they couldn't follow through... that they couldn't make a real change... that they didn't see purpose for anything new in their life. Sadly, this view is reality for more people than you might imagine.

So, my plan is to make it simple by taking a general+neutral route and be OK with what will happen this year and what will not happen. I still have goals but the result of accomplishing those goals is not fully dependent on a single date (for me).

If I really had to put these thoughts in the form of a Resolution it would probably go something like this...
In 2016 : Unpredictable, exciting, and sometimes planful events will define the 2016 version of myself and (honestly), my goal this year is... to be OK with however that may happen.

Much of what I'm saying, or trying to explain has almost everything to do with the mini juveniles I've happily shared a roof with for the past two years. These two (lady bugs and jumping beans) have truly molded me into the person I am right now. Just as they do with their play dough - today I stand tall like a lime green tree and tomorrow I may be a colorful blob on the floor. As a mom of two toddlers, my goals/my plans/my life in general is wholehartedly unpredictable now. Ok, we still make "plans" per say but I've learned to roll with the punches more than I ever imagined. My past "go go go" way of living hasn't fully left me, but I am noticing the need to slow down - especially for my two peanuts whose little leggies can't keep up with mine all the time. Now, I'm learning to stop more often and rest with my girls - even when we should be moving and getting things done. I'm taking more moments to really look my children in the eyes when we talk and truly see them learning, understanding and discovering something new!

Prior to children I...

Check out this blog post in it's entirety here > 2016 A New Year

and follow me on Wordpress ;)

NYE2016LBJBQuote

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.