This article originally appeared on AdoreThem.com
We usually take a lot of car trips throughout summer – to the lake, to the beach, and some day trips in between.
This, of course, is on top of our usual time spent driving to & from activities in the minivan. Sometime I use our portable DVD players as a crutch for longer car rides, but it is obviously not the best thing for my boys. Plus listening to endless episodes of Team Umizoomi & Mega Man gets a little old after a while. The other option is listening to kid music, which can be fine in small doses; but isn't the most enjoyable thing either.
Luckily, kid-friendly podcasts have been gaining popularity! Some of these focus on story-telling, while others tackle science topics… but I can tell you that I enjoy listening to these podcasts just as much as my children do!
- Wow in the World - “On May 15, NPR launches its first podcast for kids and families, Wow in the World, hosted by Guy Raz and Mindy Thomas. This weekly show invites curious kids and their grown-ups on a journey away from their screens, inside their brains and into the most amazing stories in science, technology, and new discoveries.”
- Brains On! - “Brains On!® is a science podcast for curious kids and adults from American Public Media. Co-hosted each week by kid scientists and reporters from public radio, we ask questions ranging from the science behind sneezing to how to translate the purr of cats, and go wherever the answers take us.”
- Storynory - Stories for Kids - “Storynory brings you an audio story every week. Each one is beautifully read by Natasha and friends. Let Natasha's voice beguile you with classic fairy tales, new children's stories, poems, myths, adventures and romance.”
- But Why - “But Why is a show led by kids. They ask the questions and we find the answers. It’s a big interesting world out there. On But Why, we tackle topics large and small, about nature, words, even the end of the world.”
- Story Time - “Do your children like listening to bedtime stories? Story Time has lots of great stories for everyone to listen to. Each story is usually less than 20 minutes long, hopefully just long enough to keep your toddler, preschoolers, and little ones engaged. Story Time is a free fortnightly audiobook podcast for children ages 2-12.”
- Dream Big Podcast - “The Dream Big Podcast is a family-friendly podcast inspiring kids (and adults!) to pursue their passions in life and take action to make their dreams a reality. Your hosts Eva Karpman (currently 7-years-old in 2nd grade) and mom Olga Karpman interview world-class performers who do what they love and live their dreams each and every day.”
- The Saturday Morning Cereal Bowl - “A weekly music show for the whole family.”
- The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian - “The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian is a serialized science-fiction story for kids (start with Episode 1), told in 15-20 minute episodes for parents to put on when driving around town, or to marathon on road trips, or to bond over before bed. The story centers on Finn Caspian, an 8-year-old boy aboard The Famous Marlowe 280 Interplanetary Exploratory Space Station.”
- The Cramazingly Incredifun Sugarcrash Kids Podcast - “Each episode includes (but is not limited to) engaging storytelling, educational elements (fictional stories with factual information), interviews with fictional characters (pirates, robots, dinosaurs, and the rest of the Sugarcrash Kids), kid interviews (listen to real kids tell their own stories and elaborate on various topics), and a brand new Sugarcrash Kids song each time! The Cramazingly Incredifun Sugarcrash Kids Podcast is geared for children, but grownups will love it too!”
- Tumble Science Podcast for Kids - “Exploring stories of science discovery. Tumble is a science podcast created to be enjoyed by the entire family.”