Cabbage rolls are stuffed with a delicious "meaty" filling and covered with a tangy tomato sauce, served on a bed of mashed potatoes. It's guilt-free comfort food!
Pigs in a Blanket (Vegan)
- Servings: 2 rolls
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 20 min
- 1 large cabbage, frozen, then thawed on countertop
- 1 c. Beyond Meat brand Beefy Crumbles
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ c. vegetable broth
- ¾ c. white onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup steamed brown rice
- 2 (14.1 oz.) cans tomato soup (preferred brand Amy's Tomato Bisque)
- 7 oz. water
- 1.5 tbsp. organic sugar
- Peel 8 whole cabbage leaves from the thawed lettuce. The leaves should easily peel off. Reserve remaining cabbage for another time.
- Remove the thick center vein of the cabbage with knife, while leaving the leaf intact. The leave should be round with a triangle-shaped cut.
- Saute the beefy crumbles and fennel seeds in oil until heated through, about three minutes.
- Add the broth, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, rice and ¼ c. of the tomato soup and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat. (Note: onion will not be completely cooked through.)
- Put ¼ c. of the mixture onto the cabbage leaf. Wrap the rounded edge of the leaf over the mixture and roll forward, tucking in the sides while rolling until a complete "package" is formed.
- Place the stuffed leaf seam side down in a large nonstick frying pan.
- Repeat with remaining leaves.
- Mix the remaining tomato soup with water and sugar. Pour over the dolls in the pan. Heat and bring to boil. Then cover with a lid and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve the "piggies" with a generous portion of sauce on a bed of mashed potatoes (optional).
Mashed potatoes are optional and can be made by combining with two large boiled, peeled and cubed russet potatoes with almond milk, salt and pepper until creamy.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!