Celebrate every morning with easy to make Funfetti Coffee Cake Muffins with Lemon Glaze. Made with coconut oil, greek yogurt and topped with a buttery streusel, these muffins will make early mornings a little easier to wake up to. Great for brunch, breakfast or snacks.
Funafuti Coffee Cake Muffins with Lemon Glaze
- Yield: 10-12 servings (for a cake) 48 mini muffins or 24 standard muffins
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1 ½ cups plain fat free greek yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour, divided (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup rainbow sprinkles, divided
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (I use Plugra)
- 1 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract (I use Nielsen-Massey)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a mini muffin tin, standard muffin tin or a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups of flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, coconut oil and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined. Add the dry ingredients to the batter alternatively with the yogurt mixture until well combined. Stir in the vanilla. Turn off the mixer and fold in 1 cup of sprinkles with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin or baking dish. Using a fork or pastry cutter, blend together the sugar, butter, remaining flour and sprinkles. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the muffins or cake. Bake for 40 -45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- While the cake is cooling, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, milk and lemon extract until smooth. Drizzle the mixture over the muffins and allow to set approximately 30 minutes. Can be served immediately or the muffins/cake can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
A few tips about making these the most epically amazing Funfetti Coffee Cake Muffins ever:
- Use the best ingredients you can find…I use Plugra butter (ALWAYS) and Nielsen-Massey Lemon Extract
- Be sure to whisk the dry ingredients together first….this is your “sifting”. I prefer to aerate my dry ingredients with a whisk because I don’t feel like cleaning a sifter.
- Don’t get lazy when combining the dry/wet ingredients. Be sure to alternate both for a light, fluffy batter.
- DO NOT USE BLACK SPRINKLES. Black sprinkles = Gray Cake