Chicken and waffles is one of my favorite flavor combinations. but restaurant versions usually include tons of saturated fat and and added sugar. That’s why I was determined to come up with the perfect recipe makeover. This recipe has all of the sweet and salty goodness of the real version while providing your body with a host of vitamins and nutrients. It’s also a perfect balance of protein, fat, and carbs to stabilize your blood sugar while satisfying your comfort food cravings!
Chicken 'N Waffle Sammies with Maple Glaze
- Servings: 1 sandwich
- Yield: 4
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup liquid egg whites (whipped until frothy)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 pound boneless, skinless thin-sliced chicken breast
- ½ cup oat bran (or old-fashioned
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp flour
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- If using old fashioned oats, grind the oats in a food processor or mini food chopper and process until they resemble a flour consistency (similar to oat bran).
- Add garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper to oat bran and stir until evenly combined. Transfer to a plate.
- Beat the egg and add it to a small casserole dish. Individually coat each chicken breast by dipping first in the egg then in the oat mixture until all four chicken breasts are evenly coated. Place all of the chicken on a greased cookie sheet and lightly spray the tip of each one with cooking spray. Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- After chicken is baked, place under the broiler for an additional 3-5 minutes until tops are golden and slightly crispy.
- While chicken is cooking make the waffles
- Combine buckwheat or whole wheat flour, baking powder, vanilla, and almond milk in a large bowl. Gently fold in the frothy egg whites. Grease a classic waffle maker (not a Belgian waffle maker) liberally with cooking spray and make 4 waffles. Cut into quarters and set aside
- Next, make the maple glaze. Combine maple syrup, soy sauce, and water in a small saucepan over low-medium heat. When mixture starts to boil, continuously whisk in flour and boil an additional 2 minutes. Take saucepan off heat and set aside for 2 minutes
- To assemble sandwiches, cut each chicken breast in half and put in between two waffle wedges. Drizzle each sandwich with warm maple glaze and serve immediately.