In honor of Father’s Day, I’d like to pay tribute to the wonderfully bizarre questions we parents are asked by our young children as they sort out life’s great mysteries. My wife and I call them “Questions from the Backseat,” and I’d bet many of you hear similarly obscure, hilarious queries lobbed from those little people kicking the back of your seat on a long drive.
Willie and son George share plenty of laughs.
Here are 5 recent gems from my 5-year-old son George (my 7-year-old daughter Lucie laughs along with us). Deep questions rarely have easy answers. Or any answers whatsoever.
1. When the Red Coats came to fight the Blue Coats, did the King and Queen stay in London with the babies? If the babies stayed home alone they would mess everything up.
2. Excuse me, Dad: Is Bruce Lee in Heaven?
3. Dad, I’m assuming you were born before me, right?
4. If you shoot a gun to start a race, will it hit people in Heaven and make them more dead?
5. No offense, Dad, but where does Mr. T live?
Willie with his dad, Bill Geist.