Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Open Discussion

Work from Home? Here's A 1920's Invention You Have to See

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

8d4fb75d78ce9044ca96166f4ab2a8305e3185b3.jpg

I work from home, and it can be challenging.

When I tell people what I do, they respond, "oh, that must be hard," and that's very true. In fact, the days when the kids are home are really challenging.

My office is downstairs, right next to the bathroom, so distractions and interruptions are constant.

But, what if there was an invention that could fix all of this, and shield me from these unwanted disturbances?

Well, this was the thought that Hugo Gernsback had nearly a century ago, and it inspired him to invent, "The Isolator."

No, "the isolator" is not a salacious product from the "sexual wellness" section of Walgreens, it's more of a... well... you have to see it:

5e01e85ef01bafffad70f9244080757fdfe12e59.jpg

Yes, this was a real invention by a really smart guy. Hugo Gernsback is frequently referred to as "The Father of Science Fiction," and he published a number of scientific magazines including the repected, "Science and Invention."

His hope was that writers and white collar workers would adopt his, "Isolator" helmet to eliminate distraction, and make him wealthy in the process.

the isolator

The "Isolator" invention was obviously a failure, but at least its flop provides working parents with a little humor and some Schadenfreude today.

Personally, I suggest Pandora a pair of headphones, but then again, maybe that's just uninspired.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.