When arriving at the conclusion of child custody cases, all courts usually tend to follow the best interests of the child standard. This is done after taking a series of factors into consideration as well. Even though these factors can slightly change from one state to another, the decision will be made to provide the best possible living standards for the child in the long run.
- Evidence that show parenting ability – When it comes to the best interests of the child standard, special attention is being paid towards the evidence that show parenting ability. This fact is proven from the UCMJ Articles as well. The court will deeply analyze and see whether the parent who is requesting the custody of the little one is in a position to cater the emotional and physical needs of the little one. This includes shelter, food, clothing, education, medical care and loving support. In addition, it is important to include parental guidance as well.
- Age of the child – Age of the child is also taken into consideration when determining the best interest of the child standard. That’s because the younger children need more support from their parents when compared to the older ones. Hence, the bond that exists in between the child and the parent will be taken into consideration. On the other hand, the children tend to make more impactful decisions when they are younger. Hence, it is important for them to spend their time closer to a parent as much as possible during this age.
- Consistency – The routines of the children are usually kept consistent by the courts. They include arranging the living methods, letting them go to school and providing access to extended members of the family. The family court judges don’t usually tend to disrupt the regular routine of the child because it can create an impact on the consistency.
- Safety – It has become essential to focus on the safety of the little one when understanding the best interests of the child standard. Hence, this factor is paid with full attention at family courts. The judges will usually deny all the cases, where the safety of the little ones are compromised.
- Impact on the existing routing – The court doesn’t allow parents to change the existing routine of the child. This kind of a situation can negatively impact the little one in the long run. Hence, it is important to stick to the same routine throughout and make sure that least impact is being created on the life of the little one.
Show that you are aware about the best interests of child standards
If you are involved in a child custody case, it is essential for you to be aware about the best interests of the child standard. You must show them to the court as well. When you show them to the court, you will be able to win the child custody case with minimum hassle. This can be considered as one of the simplest, but most effective methods available for you to try when you are looking forward to win child custody cases.
In the meantime, you must also be aware about the instances that are not being considered in the best interest of the child. The judges usually tend to provide ability for the child to remain in his comfortable surroundings. If the child senses that you are trying to take out the child from a zone that he is comfortable with, you will not be able to win the case. Hence, you should keep this in mind when you are trying to win the child custody case. This happens because of the existing laws associated with child custody.
It is better if you can talk with a reputed family lawyer and come up with a plan on how to overcome these challenges and win the case. The family lawyer you contact will also take a look at the best interests of the child into consideration when defining the plan. Hence, you will be able to come up with effective results at the end of the day. The entire process will be a smooth one as well and you will absolutely love it.