Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Share your mom lessons

This is mothering

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

ee5fa6e2d4cc01c5a26d6c45a58b0e620ec4c2b3.jpg

This is mothering.

This is kingdom work.
It is eternity staring you in the face and the realm of the unseen contending for your charges.
It is war, and your babies are not cherubs, they are arrows. They are future warriors, given to you to sharpen and mold and train for battle.

“Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children of one's youth."

Psalm 127:4

It is suiting up for combat. Every. Single. Day.
It is not for the faint of heart.
Those mouths you wipe and feed and kiss are the mouths our God will use to silence the enemy.

“You have taught children and infants to tell of your strength,
silencing your enemies and all who oppose you.”

Psalm 8:2

Motherhood is kingdom work

It is sacrifice – laying down your life for another.
It is the Gospel lived out in piles of laundry, snotty noses, and endless nights of sickness and teething.
It is the least of these in the least appreciated times and with the least affirmation from a world that defines success in opposite terms.

“Truly, I say to you,
as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,
you did it to me.”

Matthew 25:40

It is faith, as you begin to let them go and discover that the time on your knees is proportional to their time outside your line of sight.
It is wisdom, as you learn how to walk beside and behind since walking in front is rarely your place anymore.
And it is love. 1 Corinthians 13 played out in your every moment, every season, as these people – above all people – are used to refine in you the ability to bear all things and endure all things and resist weariness as you pray for the harvest.

“Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

Galatians 6:9

Motherhood walks beside and behind

It is a calling. It is not a diversion or an interruption or even a job.
It is a God-ordained mission field and assignment, specifically tailored for you and one that only you can fulfill.
It is the Lord’s work, accomplished in the Spirit’s powe r, and it is never -- I repeat, never -- in vain.

“...stand firm. Let nothing move you.
Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord,
because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”
1 Corinthians 15:58

So take heart and take hold of the only one who can equip you for the mission.
All of heaven is watching and rooting for you and God is on your side.
And when you stand before Him one day with your harvest, all the weariness and sacrifice and battle scars will fade into glory, and you will hear the words that will trump all other voices you’ve silenced along the way:

“Well done, good and faithful servant.
You have been faithful over a little;
I will set you over much.
Enter into the joy of your master.”

Matthew 25:23

Embracing the journey,

Christi

The Cheerio Trail is on Facebook. You can also follow Christi on Pinterest and Twitter ~ where original artwork and quotes will also be shared.

Related posts:
Dear parents of teens: This. Is. Hard
What to expect when you’re launching (5 things parents of teens may need to hear)
In the way they should GO ...
What I learned while watching my daughter’s journey of faith and praying for her future

Mothering is kingdom work

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.