Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Parenting Resolutions

Project Better Mom 2016

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

76bcfa4a2eb913848030aa8ded7464965a80c1c1.jpg

Every day starts the same way. I have these grand ideas that I will wake up and be the mom I really want to be. Then, the kids won't get up. One has lost his shoe. Another is dancing around the kitchen instead of eating her breakfast. I morph from the good mom I want to be to the one that just wants to get them out the door to school. Then, the moment they are gone I regret how the day went.

One would think that knowing this would be enough to make a change. Well, in a perfect world that would be the case. However, I just keep proving the definition of insanity by doing the same thing over and over again but trying to get a different result. It just isn't working anymore.

As we all move towards a new year, it is that time for a change. It means that you can wipe the slate clean and really try to make your life better. For me, I am going to try do make positive changes in my own life.

First and foremost, I need to stop trying to strive for perfection. Doing that instantly sets me up for failure. Instead, I am going to just try to be happy.

That may sound so simplistic, but it is true.

You've probably heard the phrase "Happy Wife. Happy Life." I really think that should be changed. We need to start to say "Happy Me - The Way to Be."

I know that when I am happy with myself and my own life, it transfers into everything I do. I find it when I work. I find that I have more patience and love towards my spouse. Best of all, I am a better mom. That's all it takes.

So, for me, 2016 is not about trying to change what I can't control. I can't control the lost shoes or the happy-go-lucky seven year old. However, what I can change is myself. I can find happiness in those moments and with the amazing life I have.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.