Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Halloween Parade

Our First Halloween

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

6ab4096977f2ae1048fd6f7ae253eae6970ee841.jpg

I am going to be honest, I love all holidays but when temperatures drop and fall begins to seep into the air, I relish in it until it turns to winter, and eventually a new year when the season rapidly fades.

My oldest son Jayden was diagnosed with Autism when he was 2 years and 4 months old and I didn't expect that to affect our holidays until it did…

When he was younger we could blend in as a family with a newborn and fiercely cute toddler that could be thrown over our shoulders as we made our quick exit when anything (and everything) became too much for him.

As he grows we no longer blend in and honestly we do not want to.

We want to be seen.

We want to be considered.

We want to feel like all eyes are not on us when we are brave enough to leave those safe walls of our home.

The walls that almost feel like a prison.

For so many years the pressure was overwhelming and our family ALWAYS ended up in divide and conquer mode because we have two little boys.

Two little boys who we wanted to ensure each of their individual needs were met, acknowledged, and considered.

Two little boys that pull us into two very different directions.

The divide and conquer system works, but no one talks about how much it stings.

It stings when you have to miss out because family, school, or community events are not feasible for both our children.

It stings to be states away when one son is enjoying his birthday gift of wrestlemania tickets.

It stings when your son is always missing from photos because for him his happy and safe place is at home.

I often have my own pity party coping with the separation that is almost natural today in our family.

But, last year I started noticing Jayden independently requesting to participate in a few holidays.

Last year he painted a pumpkin.

He independently brought me a paint kit and a pumpkin and said "paint pumpkin."

He requested color by color as he painted his pumpkin.

He painted the most beautiful pumpkin I ever saw.

This year, we went to a Trunk or Treat event put on by Legend's Football Club in Norco, CA and I am still floating as I look at the photos from our first Halloween Event we attended as a family.

Let me be clear about it, a holiday related event we all attended beginning to end, TOGETHER!

TOGETHER as a family.

So many may never see the big deal in my family's experience tonight but our family will remember tonight forever.

I am so grateful for every person that saw my son, everyone that loaded his candy bag, and acknowledged him with a greeting or high five.

Tonight I bought a shirt that says one club, one family, one mission.

For the first time in about 10 years I truly believe those words.

I apologized for my son (I don't even know for what) because it is just second nature now, but I was only to be met with kind, understanding smiles and welcoming arms.

I witnessed a club with many branches come together.

I saw BOTH my sons engaged, considered, and accommodated.

I saw a special needs sibling have such a good time, from dunking his coach into a dunk tank to wrestling his teammate while they called out the winners to the epic raffle prizes.

I got to chat with another mom for more than 2 seconds because the pressure was off and acceptance was the spirit in the air

Thank you Legends Football Club.

You gave us our best Halloween yet and most of all you made all 4 of us feel welcomed and accepted.

You gave us a place and community where we could just be us.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.