Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Choosing Baby Names

Meant to be....

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

when my husband and I were talking about baby names for our first son, he told me he had always loved the name "Porter". He explained that when he was a little boy, he loved to watch cowboy movies, and there was once a cowboy character he loved by the name of Porter! I didn't give it much thought over the next few months, and as we planned our future living situation his job decision landed us in Dallas, Texas where my husbands family lived. 8 weeks before my due date, we moved to Dallas and one afternoon, we were at my in-laws house visiting. My mother in law had a gorgeous, antique music box in her living room that was handed down to her from her great grandparents. I was admiring it and commenting on how beautiful it was, and my mother in law offered to let me listen to it. So we walked over to it. It stood about 3 ft tall, and when my mother in law lifted the lid to wind it up, my eyes were amazed to see the name "Porter" inscribed under the lid! It was the maker of this particular brand of music box, that was popular in the early 1900's! I called my husband over to see it! He had never seen the inside of the music box, nor paid it much attention all the years growing up with it in his parents home! We both just smiled at each other knowing it was a sign that our first son was to be called "Porter"! We shared this with my mother in law, and we all just knew at that moment that this name was just meant to be!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.