Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Lunchbox Hero

Lunchbox Pancake Sandwiches

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article
Transform your breakfast leftovers into a fun and tasty pancake sandwich that will wow your kids!

Lunchbox Pancake Sandwiches My boys are constantly giving these borderline-whiny grumbles about lunch options. “Oh, turkey on wheat again?” “I’m not into vanilla yogurt anymore.” And my favorite passive aggressive complaint, “Um, that type of bread really isn’t my favorite.” So instead of sending them off to school with coal in their lunchbox (which just might happen if this persists), I thought why not pack them a lunch that will not only stop the complaining, but really wow them.

Lunchbox Pancake Sandwiches We have an ongoing debate about bread in our house. Me, explaining the benefits of whole wheat bread for their sandwiches and them, wanting just about anything else. So I’m always thinking of little tweaks to the basics and alternating those with their usual whole wheat sandies. I made these cute little corn muffin sandwiches which definitely received two thumbs up and now I give to you the pancake sandwich.

My younger (and far pickier) son Max is a lover of all things pancake. He would eat them daily if I let him and loves to order a breakfast pancake sandwich at the diner. He’ll pile bacon and eggs inside two pancakes, cut it into wedges and dunk it into syrup. Genius? Maybe. Delicious? Definitely.

Lunchbox Pancake Sandwiches So, I decided to apply the same basic concept to lunch. Their favorite sandwich fixings layered between two homemade pancakes. Remember these pancakes from last week? Well I made a double batch and froze the leftovers for easy breezy weekday breakfasts and now lunch. Some of our faves are smoked ham/swiss/apple butter, creamy peanut butter/sliced banana/honey and turkey/apple slices/honey.

It’s really a win/win in the packed lunch department. Delighted children and a happy mom. Now I just need to work on my whole wheat pancake recipe. 😉

5.0 from 1 reviews
Prep time
5 mins
Total time
5 mins
Transform your breakfast leftovers into a fun and tasty pancake sandwich that will wow your kids!
Author: Cathy Roma | whatshouldimakefor.com
Recipe type: Lunch
Serves: 1 sandwich
Ingredients
  • 2 pancakes
  • Ham/Cheese/Apple Butter
  • Peanut Butter/Sliced Bananas/Honey
  • Turkey/Apple Slices/Honey
Instructions
  1. Layer the sandwich fixings between the two pancakes. Eat and Enjoy!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.