Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Taking Care of YOU

Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Today

589e8807830145dfc85908e60ab3fa2ab1cc7c1c.jpeg

I showed up to Target with my messy bun and my spandex on inside out (yes, you read that right). These things happen when you get ready in the dark before coffee. 🤣

I was supposed to be in and out, but the boys got us delayed and we were there waaay longer than anticipated. In that time span I saw several friends and acquaintances.

I was too busy chasing the boys to be embarrassed about my appearance, but as I sit here and reflect on the day - I'm thinking I was looking rather rough.

But here's the thing.....

I don't think anyone cared! I don't think anyone but me noticed my messy bun or my wardrobe malfunction. I don't think they knew that my older son had the sweatshirt on that he's worn every day for the last 2 weeks, or that my middle son had shorts and flip flops on in the middle of winter, or that my youngest had pajama pants on and two different socks.

And even if they did notice -I doubt they cared. They were too busy worrying about their own hair, children, and wallets.

We all need to give ourselves a break and just chill out.

Here is the list of the things I am not worrying about this holiday break, and I hope that you don't worry about either:

Sleeping late (sleep allows us to rebuild or physical bodies and helps with our mental health)

Pajamas all day (they will get washed eventually)

Netflix marathons of movies from the past (our kids deserve to know the classics like Grease, Dirty Dancing, and Pretty in Pink)

Skipping the gym (we will make use of the gym soon enough)

Eating too much candy (I mean as long as it's not for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner)

Messy hair (I actually think it's endearing)

Screen time (yes we have rules -they can't get on before 8am or after dinner, but we have been very flexible this week)

A second, third, or even fourth cup of coffee (there are so many benefits to caffeine)

Beds unmade (the dust is not going to cover their sheets in a few hours)

And what we wear when we leave our homes (sometimes we get ready in the dark before coffee)

We will all go back to our routines soon enough.

But until then, let's all give ourselves a break.

I promise you that the world will not end if you show up to Target with messy hair and your pants on inside out.

Appreciate the time with your loved ones (and with yourself) and don't sweat the small stuff. 💗

Originally posted at:

https://www.facebook.com/282693702091035/posts/1045295635830834/?d=n

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.