Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: We love our pets

Dear Charlie

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Dear Charlie,

When Marcus and I started trying to grow our family, I joked that if we didn't have a baby or weren't pregnant in another year that we would get another dog.

The result: you.

_storage_B0AD-07DF_DCIM_Camera_20151212_142200

You instantly became a huge part of my healing. You were glued to me. Followed me everywhere. Laid next to me on the couch when another month passed without a baby. You quickly became my baby.

When we got you, we were told you were probably 8-10 years old, so we had no idea how long we'd have you. You quickly showed us some of your insecurities and fears that made our hearts ache for whatever you had been through before we got you. The first day you wouldn't even walk through our house as you didn't know how to walk on hardwood floors.

You were stubborn. You never listened to Marcus, and he often compared you to someone else he knew who doesn't do anything they didn't want to do...(me). Just like our decision to get you. We debated all night if it was the best thing for Louie, but I could not give it up. I knew I saw a sweet, gentle soul that deserved a good life. You were our dog the very next day.

And you were exactly that. Sweet. Gentle. Lazy. All you wanted in your last years were a comfy place to lay and someone to pet you. And I think we gave you that.

IMG_3841

But my sweet boy, you gave us so much more. You were the answer to Louie's anxiety problems. Louie went from an underweight, kenneled, pulling hair out of his tail dog to a fat and happy dog that never needed to be kenneled again.

For me, you gave me comfort. For me, you gave me love. For me, you walked with me through some of the worst times.

_storage_B0AD-07DF_DCIM_Camera_20160305_144647

Everyone that met you fell in love instantly. Your gentle soul was so easy to love. Even through all of your appointments, blood draws, etc. recently, doctors always asked, "Is he always this calm?"

Yes.

I find it ironic that you came to us when we couldn't get pregnant, and you left in the third trimester of my first pregnancy. We didn't get you long, but you filled a hole in my heart that will never be filled by any other dog or human.

I miss you already buddy. I hope you have found some peace.

All my love,

Betsy

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.