Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Class of 2020

Class of 2020 - Marietta GA

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

These are the faces of three girls who were looking forward to this part of their senior year. These faces are thrilled to death that they worked so hard and made it through. They’ve been volleyball players since the age of 7. They’ve missed school dances, trips, parties, homecomings and proms. This was their year!

They were finally going to make it to their senior prom. They had spring break plans and were looking forward to yearbook signing, cap and gown pick up, their senior picnic and, of course, graduation. Kendall said to me last night, through tears: “I don’t even remember my last day of school. I’m supposed to know what I was wearing and every teacher, coach, and friend I said goodbye to.”

My heart is breaking for these seniors.

After hearing the news yesterday that school is canceled for the rest of the year, I can’t help but reflect on my senior year. I can’t even imagine not having that. We all remember this special time in our lives, and these kids won’t have that. No doubt this will make them stronger later in life. Their drive, focus and perseverance will make them better people in the long run. It’s very hard to explain that to them now. They just want what we all had and those after them will surely have.

As a mom, I will do whatever I can to make this summer the best! We will celebrate these kids and try to give them what they deserve. As a teacher, I struggle with not being able to have said goodbye to my own students. I miss them very much and know the end of our year would have been filled with lessons, activities and skill instruction, but lots of laughter and fun as well. To them, I say we will continue our online learning and I look forward to seeing them next year. To my daughter and the rest of the senior class, I say, this too shall pass. Hold your head high and know that this will help make you the smart, strong, talented leaders you were born to be.

To these 3 beautiful girls....we know you’re going to do some incredible things at UVA, Georgia State and Marist. We can’t wait to watch you grow in to the wonderful women you will become. We love you.

#classof2020 #waltonraiders

12c46ba589b73b9d60234e5a91ff20fce37fd2bf.jpeg

227a22b3f9ae8f8b6dfab057f1add664ba3e013b.jpeg

2e2c6531681d53ab11731396c9e66ab83cac1563.jpeg

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.