I wanted to recreate a homemade frozen yogurt for the kids to enjoy on their way to school or camp. I dug out our favorite popsicle molds and headed out to the market where I picked up a large container of vanilla yogurt, a few pints of fresh strawberries, and a bag of granola. My kids love to eat granola by the handful, so I figured this would be the perfect addition to this breakfast treat.
Whenever I have a berry surplus, I like to make a sweet berry jam to put on top of waffles and ice cream. This jam is perfect to infuse throughout the popsicles. If you are short on time, you can always use store bought jam or fruit syrup. I chose strawberries for this recipe because they were plentiful at the market, but I have experimented with blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries (and even a mixture of berries) to create my jam. If berries are not in season, you can always substitute with frozen fruit.
Breakfast Parfait Popsicles
- 3 cups strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the strawberries and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly until the syrup thickens to resemble jam.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool at room temperature. This fruit jam can be refrigerated for a week to ten days.
When the jam has cooled, you are ready to assemble the popsicles.
You will need:
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup granola
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- In a medium bowl, mix yogurt, ¼ cup of granola, and ¼ cup of the jam together. Stir until well incorporated.
- Place a heaping spoonful of yogurt in the bottom of each mold.
- Add a heaping spoonful of granola and then a spoonful or two of jam.
- Continue layering until the molds are filled.
- Insert a popsicle stick into each mold and place into freezer.
- Freeze until solid.
- Unmold and enjoy.
This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.