Oh, what a year it has been and, oh, the lessons we’ve learned! I think we’d all agree that, if we would have known that 2020 was going to school us all in Despair & Desperation 101, we would’ve dropped the class after the first semester. With that in mind, I’d like to revisit one of my favorite essays, but with a COVID-19 twist…
All I Really Need to Know I Learned During the Pandemic:
- Trips and gatherings may be cancelled, but memories can still be made with a little imagination, a stack of games, and a variety of take out menus. And Zoom! Don’t forget the Zoom!
- It’s amazing what you can fix with some warm water, a bit of soap and about 20 seconds.
- A Covid Equation: A Simple Gesture + A Little Time x No Cost = A Warmed Heart. Make that call. Send that text. Write that letter.
- Buying toilet paper in bulk in February of 2020 is now akin to buying Apple stock at .23 a share in June of 1982.
- Wearing a mask is the perfect way to learn how to smile with your eyes.
- You know it’s getting serious if someone asks you to be part of their Covid Circle of Trust.
- Perception is everything. While we hate the idea of being stuck at home 24/7, our pets couldn’t be happier and are in the midst of writing up their own “Stay at Home Order”.
- Yes, 20 seconds…no, it’s not that long…just sing the happy birthday song twice.
- The words “super hero”, “brave” and “remarkable” have nothing to do with those who wear capes and effortlessly leap tall buildings and everything to do with those who wear PPE and selflessly care for others.
- Celebrating a holiday at home is the perfect excuse to use the good china – so is Taco Tuesday.
- Spending time together for months inside can lead to fun times with your spouse as you update your home – and hopefully not the other way around!
- Remote schooling can go from feeling like an extended spring break, to a snow day with homework, to being forced to watch educational tv without the fun cereal commercials.
- With the knowledge of how hard it is to create all of that “educational tv” on the fly, teachers deserve a raise (and combat pay when in-person teaching is added into the mix)!
- No, you can’t skip the soap…because then it’s just rinsing…yes, that’s a bad thing.
- Six feet apart can feel too close for comfort when you’re in line at Target and miles apart when you’re spending time with the ones you love.
- You can have too much of a good thing: food, drink, social media, watching the news, wearing pj’s all day, online shopping, playing with your dog, cleaning your house…
- You’re right, I was wrong about that one – you can never play too much with your dog!
- “Normal” is now the gold standard: “the new normal”, “back to normal”, “not your normal virus”, “normal weight range”, “not normally worn together”, “is she normally like this?”.
- Times of struggle can bring out the best and worst in people. Let’s show each other our best and give this virus our worst.
I wish you all health, happiness, prosperity and peace this holiday season and in the year to come.