Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Share your mom lessons

A Life-Changing Small Moment

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

The details are kind of blurry but the emotion stuck with me. My friend and I, both maybe 7 or 8 years old, were in the back seat of our car and my mom was driving. We saw a classmate of ours out the window and my friend said "Let's hide so she can't see us!" We giggled and ducked down. My mom immediately scolded us: "How would you like it if someone did that to you, behind your back?!" Though ducking down didn't seem like that much of an offense, I felt terrible. My mom knew very well, as did I, that the intention was to be exclusionary and giggle at our friend's expense. Looking back I think it's funny, and so naive, that her question surprised me.

From that moment on, I have always thought about a person and how they would like to be spoken of before I say anything about them or share their personal information. Something so basic I should have instinctively known but the truth is, I had to be told. As much as that moment stuck with me, I know it was also watching my mom that taught me how to treat others. I have never seen her gossip, speak badly about someone, or derive pleasure out of anyone's misfortune. I hope my children see the same when they watch my husband and I.
Thank you Mom!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.