This year, I really want to focus my time and energy on gifts that can’t be found under the tree. If you’re like us, you’re drowning in stuff. You have piles upon piles of toys. The most important gifts you can give your children doesn’t neccesarily have to cost anything at all. Most things you anticipate them opening up on Christmas morning normally end up getting tossed aside or broken within the first few months. Here are five things that you can give your children that will last more than a year–they will last a lifetime!
• The Gift Of Jesus Christ. The greatest gift of all won’t be found under a tree. It won’t be packaged up pretty with ribbons and bows. It will be found in a bed of hay. The very first Christmas was spent in a stable. When we teach our children that Christmas is the celebration of our Savior being born, we are sharing the most important gift we can give them–the true meaning of this special time of year. This Christmas teach your children the reason for the season!
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whomsoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” – John 3:16
• The Gift of Presence. Your “presence” is more meaningful than “presents.” Being present means slowing down and taking time to enjoy all of the wonderful things this season brings. Make a commitment to pay more attention to your children and live in the moment. Put your phone away and spend more time focusing on your greatest gifts today. You only have so much time with these little ones. Make it a goal to be all there!
• The Gift of Laughter. Nothing soothes my soul quite like the sound of my children’s laughter. One of the things I love most about the holidays is the fellowship with family in our home. When I look back on my life, I don’t remember what gifts I opened on Christmas. I recall the times spent cutting up and joking with family. Mostly at my own expense! Share in these moments with your kids and give them something to laugh about this year!
• The Gift of Tradition. Tradition is about giving your children something exciting to look forward to each year. It’s about celebrating the joy of the season as a family. Pinterest is a great place to find new ideas if you’re looking to create some new ones this year! Make the holidays merry for your littles by surprising them with a new tradition that will last for years to come!
• The Gift of Joy. Let your children know how happy you are to be their mother. Wake up and be excited for the day ahead. Fill their hearts with gladness and cheer. Be silly. Have a pillow fight. Chase them around the room. Play hide and seek. Make memories. Let them unwrap the joy of childhood this year!
Being a parent is one of life's greatest blessings! Although it can be a challenge sometimes and it's easy to become preoccupied with different things this time of year, remember that your children deserve the best! Give them something money can’t buy this year!