Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: NICU Parenting

12oz 10inch baby girl survives after 182days in the NICU

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Danielle and Alex were told countless times that babies this small do not survive but what happened on July 21, 2014 was nothing short of a miracle and something that would go on record as one of the 50 smallest females babies to survive in the world on the Tiny Baby Registry.

Olivia Grace Makarijoski was born at 350grams (12oz) and only 10 inches. Olivia was measuring the size of a 22w baby, which was considered unviable at the time. Her skin was translucent and her eyes were still fuzed shut.

It was 21 days until Danielle could hold Olivia for the first time because of her fragile nature. On Olivia's 6th day of life she had a life saving BrovIac surgery that the surgeon had never preformed on a micro preemie, as their body vibrated because she was on a ventilator.

The Dr's told them if it didn't work, it would be the end of the line becasue PICC lines were failing becasue Olivia was too small and they needed to get a line in her.

Over the 182 days they spent in the NICU Dr's told Danielle and Alex that Olivia could have very big challenges the rest of her life. That she would need a vent, trach, and Gtube.

Danielle garnered support from across the world starting a #cakepopmonday movement where Monday's everyone celebrated Olivia's week Birthday's by grabbing a starbucks birthday cake pop and taking a selfie with #inspirationOlivia and #cakepopmonday The support spread around the country and to other continents as Danielle would see picture after picture of people standing in the power of prayer with them.

To this day, Danielle believes that Olivia is here by the Grace of God (the reason for her middle name) and is on a mission to give hope to the Mom's that were just like her scouring the internet for any signs that babies this small COULD survive.

Three years later, Olivia is a happy child, in pre-school who knows how to count backwards, shapes, colors, numbers, and animal sounds and she is one of the most lovable kids you will ever meet!

Danielle and Alex know how hard it can wear on a marriage saying that the way they survived was when one of us was down, the other would be up. We never allowed us both to be down at the same time.

Danielle wants NICU graduate Mom's to know that there is help out there. The statistics are high for the Mom's enduring PTSD and Depression after going through the battle of a lifetime. She says, EMDR therapy, which has an extremely high success rate for those who have been a victum of a trauma, has helped change her life completely and she wants other Mom's to know this therapy is out there and can help.

Here is their story:

Here is their homecoming:

This is written by me, Danielle Makarijoski, Olivia's mom and I can't tell you how much I just want to share our story to give people hope and Mom's the knowledge on how to survive AFTER your baby survives. Mental health and miracles run big in these NICU stories and I hope I can affect just one person with the story of Olivia.

Here is a video of our 1st three months.
Permission to use and share.... IF you just let me know (bellamaria30@gmail.com)

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.