Loaded with fresh veggies and topped with a sweet and spicy glazed shrimps. This is a 30 minute meal that delivers huge flavor and is healthy.
Veggie & Shrimp Stir-Fry
- Yield: 3 servings
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- 1 red & yellow pepper, cut in thick sticks(julienne)
- ½ a red onion, thinly sliced in half moon shape
- 1.5 cups broccoli florets
- 3-4 baby bok choy, stems removed & roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled & finely grated using a microplane
- 1 large handful sugar snap pea, sliced on a diagonal bias
- Sesame seeds, toasted if you want
- Sweet chili sauce, Asian aisle in grocery store
- Kosher salt
- Veggie oil
- ⅓ cup low sodium veggie or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or chili sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 large shrimps, peeled & cleaned
- Chinese 5 spice powder
- Fresh cracked pepper
- low sodium soy sauce
- marinate shrimp with 5 spice powder
- prep all the veggies and make the sauce
- cook the veggies
- cook the shrimp
Add the shrimp to a bowl along with 1 teaspoon of salt, a couple cracks of pepper, and 2 teaspoon of 5 spice powder. Mix well and keep in fridge until ready to cook.
Prep and chop all the veggies ahead of time. For the sauce, combine the veggie stock and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, mix well and check for seasoning. You may need more soy sauce and chili sauce, you want the flavors to be salty, sweet, spicy, and sour, so adjust accordingly.
Pre-heat a wok or large non-stick pan over medium heat with 2 tablespoon of oil for 3 minutes.Add the peppers, onion, and broccoli along with ½ teaspoon of salt and cook for 4-5 minutes until the broccoli has soften just a little, but still has a strong crunch. Add the bok choy and next 2 ingredients along with all of the sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes and taste for seasoning. Make sure the veggies still have a little cruch left to them and turn off the heat. Add the sugar snap peas and 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds and mix to combine.
For the shrimp, pre-heat a large nom-stick or cast iron pan over medium-heat heat with 2 tablespoons of oil for 3 minutes. Cook the shrimp on one side for 3 minutes, flip and cook one more minute. Add 3 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce and mix everything to combine. Cook for 30 seconds, turn the heat off, add the sesame seeds and mix so every shrimp get coated in the sauce. Serve the veggies over a bowl of rice and top with the shrimp. Garnish with more sesame seeds.