Quick, easy-to-follow and delicious Vegetable Chow Mein! Make your favorite Chinese dish at home!
Vegetarian Chow Mein
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 20 min
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup bok choy, chopped (both green and white parts)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz shiitake or oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh or dried chow mein egg noodles
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 to 2 cups snow peas
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce + more if needed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, diced for garnish
- Using a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. After a minute or so, add ginger and garlic and saute for a minute or two. Add all of the vegetables from the bok choy to the mushrooms and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften a bit. Feel free to add a touch more vegetable oil if needed.
- Next, add in the egg noodles and stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes and then add in bean sprouts and snow peas and cook for about 3 minutes or so. Add in the vegetable broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and honey. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until slightly reduced and thick, for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and garnish with the diced green onions before serving.