Not your ordinary jalapeno popper - stuffed with a delicious mixture of sausage, sautéed onions, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese - wrapped with bacon and a sprinkle of brown sugar sweetness
Ultimate Jalapeno Poppers
- ½ lb pork sausage
- ¼ cup onion
- 12 oz cream cheese
- 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 jalapeno peppers
- 16 oz thin sliced bacon
- Cook sausage and diced onions over medium heat and crumble sausage as it cooks
- Mix cream cheese, sausage, onions, shredded cheese until mixed completely, chill for 30 minutes
- While the sausage / cheese mixture is chilling, prepare jalapeno peppers for stuffing. Remove stem end, slice in half long ways, and remove seeds
- Fill each jalapeno half with the sausage / cheese mixture
- Wrap each stuffed jalapeno pepper with half slice of bacon
- Place peppers on a wire rack sitting on a cookie sheet pan (this allows the bacon grease to drain while cooking, lining the cookie sheet with aluminum foil to make for easier clean-up)
- Refrigerate the bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno peppers for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the stuffing to firm up. Makes for better cooking results.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Sprinkle a little brown sugar on each bacon wrapped stuffed pepper (sugar can be omitted but does give it the perfect taste)
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Broiler can be used towards the end of cooking to finish
- Let the peppers rest for 10 minutes before serving
Whenever I have a gathering of friends the first request on the appetizer list is a batch of the ultimate jalapeno poppers. I've learned that the only way to ensure I receive one or two to enjoy after serving my friends is to immediately hide a few as soon as they come out of the oven. Many times I end up sharing my secret stash so someone else can enjoy that one last delicious bite.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!