My mom started making this recipe over 20 years ago with ground beef and flour tortillas. I've lightened it up a bit with ground turkey, whole wheat tortillas and homemade salsa, but kept the cheesy goodness. This is a GREAT freezer meal to make for new parents.
Turkey Enchilada Lasagna
- Servings: 1 large square
- Yield: 10-12
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 30 min
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey
- 1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 4-6 oz can chopped green chiles
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped.
- 1 jar Trader Joe's enchilada sauce (or your favorite)
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- 2 cups salsa, I prefer homemade pantry salsa
- 8 whole wheat tortillas, fajita size
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mild cheddar, shredded
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Toppers: diced tomatoes, olives, green onions, avocado
- Preheat oven to 375º
- In a skillet, heat canola oil, onions and green chiles over medium-high heat. Brown for 2-3 minutes. Add in ground turkey, crumbling as it cooks with a flat spatula.
- Season turkey mixture with cumin, taco seasoning and ½ water. Add drained kidney beans. Allow to bubble for 10-12 minutes.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Drizzle enchilada sauce on the bottom.
- Spread a thin layer of sour cream on 2 tortillas, lay on top of enchilada sauce.
- Add a thin layer of salsa, then cheese, then taco meat. Top with more enchilada sauce.
- Repeat layers 2-3 times, ending with a tortilla topped with sour cream. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and add cilantro.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with toppings and Mexican rice