Mussels sound intimidating, but this fool-proof recipe can turn your next dinner party into a gourmet experience without much effort. The bright, savory green curry broth comes together in minutes and is used to steam fresh mussels. Of course, the only way to eat this dish is with a hearty French bread for dipping in the broth.
Thai Style Green Curry Mussels
- Servings: 3 - 4 servings
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 3 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 15oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 limes
- 1½ pounds mussels, debearded and scrubbed
- ¼ cup of fresh basil and cilantro chopped together
- Heat a wok or large pot on the stove over medium high heat with the peanut oil, then add in ginger, garlic, and pepper and sauté until soft.
- Then add in the curry paste and stir to combine with the vegetables.
- Then add in the coconut milk, vinegar and fish sauce and simmer 10 minutes to allow the flavors to intensify.
- Next, prepare your mussels and then add them to the simmering broth, stir and then cover with the pot’s lid and steam 3 minutes or until they’re all opened.
- Move the mussels to a serving dish and garnish with fresh herbs and lime wedges.
This recipe was inspired from one of my first dates with my husband. It was a gourmet cooking class and it was our first time eating, must less cooking, mussels. We discovered in that class that they're surprisingly easy to cook and we always get a little nostalgic eating mussels. Just like some couples have "their song", mussels are "our dish."
This is a winning dish because any time I serve is to guests, they are always impressed. But in reality, as a busy entrepreneur and Mom, I don't have time to labor hours over an appetizer for a dinner party. This is a favorite go-to that is deceptively and delightfully simple to execute and we always have a fun love story to tell over dinner conversation.
If you want more of the story from my husband and I about that first date and why we love mussels, catch the video on my YouTube channel.