Hearty seafood soup for chilly nights - with a vegetable and cream base, this soup has become a favorite comfort food during the fall and winter season. Pairs perfectly with a loaf of warm, crusty bread.
Sweet Pepper Crab Soup
- Servings: 8
- Yield: 3 quarts
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1.5 tsp old bay seasoning
- 3 cups chicken (or fish) stock
- 1 cup peeled and diced russet potato
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb crab (or imitation crab) meat, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in sauce pan over low heat.
- Add onion, celery, red bell pepper, and old bay seasoning.
- Cover and cook ten (10) minutes, stirring twice.
- Add stock and potato.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for thirty (30) minutes.
- Use immersion blender to purée ingredients. (Or CAREFULLY purée soup in blender in batches)
- Add half and half and cheddar cheese - bring to simmer.
- Mix in crab meat.
- Salt and pepper to liking.