A whole grain packed muffin perfect for breakfast on the go with fresh strawberries and lemon zest to add flavor.
Strawberry Lemon Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup quick cooking oats
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup cashew milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- extra cane sugar for sprinkling the top before baking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the flours, oats, lemon zest, baking soda, and baking powder. In a separate bowl beat the egg, apple sauce, coconut oil, maple syrup, sugar, vanilla and cashew milk together until well combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients in small batches to the wet ingredients being careful not to over mix. With a rubber spatula fold in the strawberries.
- Place paper muffin liners into 9 muffin cups. Spray them with cooking spray for good measure.
- Using an ice cream scoop, portion out one scoop per muffin cup. Sprinkle the tops with organic cane sugar. This is optional, but will provide a nice crunchy top.
- Bake for 21-25 minutes or until a toothpick put in the center comes out clean.