Two long-time dessert favorites come together this week to make one gorgeous summertime treat. An old-fashioned strawberry jelly roll and a classic English trifle combine to create edible elegance in a bowl. There’s a fruity spoonful of flavor in every bite!
Strawberry Jellyroll Trifle
- 6 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup water
- 1-½ cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-¼ cups cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Powdered sugar for dusting on towel
- 1 jar (12 ounces) strawberry or raspberry jam or jelly
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- ⅛ cup Strawberry Liquor or Rum, optional
- 1 large package (approx. 5-6 oz) instant Vanilla Pudding
- 3 cups milk
- ½ half pint heavy cream plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for topping
- 1 pint fresh strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed or parchment paper.
- Grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and ¼ cup water on high speed 5 minutes or until thick and lightly lemon-colored.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup sugar and beat.
- Add vanilla and lemon extracts and beat well.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to yolk mixture a little at a time and mix well. Batter will be thick.
- In a clean bowl with clean beaters, beat together egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar, a little at a time, beating on high until sugar is dissolved.
- Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter until well incorporated.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar.
- Gently peel off waxed paper.
- Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting from the short side.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake.
- Brush lightly with strawberry liquor and rum.
- Mix together cream cheese and milk or cream until smooth.
- Spread evenly over cake roll. Spread jelly over cream cheese.
- Roll up and freeze for about 30 minutes for easier slicing.
- Prepare pudding by mixing together one package of vanilla pudding with 3 cups milk.
- Spoon a small amount of pudding on the bottom of trifle bowl.
- With a serrated knife, slice very thin slices of jelly roll and place around inside wall of trifle bowl.
- Fill the center with alternate layers of jelly roll and pudding.
- If you have enough jelly roll, add a second layer and repeat process.
- Beat together heavy cream and powdered sugar until thick.
- Spread over top of trifle and garnish with fresh strawberries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Spreading the Filling
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!