The sweet potato noodles create the perfect sweet and savory balance. The meal is so satisfying and different, that you’ll want to make a big vat of it! In this recipe, we're ditching those refined pasta noodles for fresh sweet potato ones. So, it’s okay to indulge – it’s worth every bite.
Spiralized Sweet Potato Carbonara
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- cooking spray
- 2 large (325g+) sweet potatoes, peeled and spiralized
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup cubed pancetta
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Add in your sweet potato noodles and cook for about 5-7 minutes, tossing frequently, or until noodles are cooked to your preference.
- In a separate skillet (while you cook the sweet potato noodles), add another large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once the oil heats, add in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook the garlic for 30 seconds and then add in the onion. Cook the onion for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to soften and then add in the pancetta cubes. Cook, stirring often, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- While the pancetta and noodles are cooking, combine the eggs and parmesan cheese in a bowl and whisk together until not very clumpy. Season with the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Once the noodles are done, add to the skillet with the pancetta, toss to combine and then turn off the heat.
- Slowly, pour in the sauce, stirring constantly, over the noodles. It's important to do this slowly and stir constantly so that the eggs cook while they heat up in the noodles. Use as much sauce as you want until the pasta has enough sauce for your preference.
- Serve into bowls and enjoy!