A dinnertime favorite, cheesy enchiladas turned into a casserole. Loaded with chicken, green chiles and creamy, cheesy sauce, this Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada Casserole is simple to make and a great weeknight dinner.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 4 hr
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 tablespoons corn starch or flour
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 20 soft flour tortillas (or corn tortillas for a gluten free option)
- 2 cups shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the cornstarch (or flour) and cook until golden brown. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and cook until it begins to thicken. Stir in the milk, cumin, cayenne pepper, onion powder, chopped chiles and salt. Continue cooking until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- In a 7-qt slow cooker, line the bottom of the slow cooker insert with a layer of tortillas so that it is completely covered. Spoon ¼ of the sauce over the tortillas. Layer ⅓ of the chicken on the sauce and sprinkle ¼ of the cheese over the chicken. Repeat with remaining ingredients with the final layer being tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and turn on high. Cook for 3-4 hours. (Alternatively, you can cook the casserole on low for 6 hours). Serve with chopped avocado, sliced jalapeños, chopped cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
Top with chopped cilantro, avocado or sliced jalapeños.
For more recipes, visit The Suburban Soapbox.