An easy, make-ahead meal. Slow cooker rope vieja is a real crowd pleaser.
Slow-Cooker Ropa Vieja
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1.5 pounds flank steak
- 1 small yellow onion, rough chop
- 1 beefsteak tomato, rough chop
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and rough chop
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- To Finish the Dish:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the beef generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large deep sauté pan add the beef, tomato, carrot, and garlic cloves. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the beef is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the meat from the cooking liquid and let cool. Reserve the cooking liquid to finish the dish.
- When the meat has cooled enough to handle, using a fork, gently shred the meat and place in a medium size mixing bowl. Reserve.
- Place the large sauté pan back over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and when hot, but not smoking, add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the onions and peppers and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the white wine and simmer for an additional two minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, white wine, shredded beef and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to help create a thin sauce.
- Add the cumin and simmer for an additional 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken slightly and coat the beef.
- Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!