This Mexican Quinoa is SO easy, and made in the crock pot. It’s healthy, loaded with flavor and perfect for a weeknight dinner or meatless Monday!
Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cooking Time: 3 hr
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ⅔ cup reduced sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped, about 1 large pepper
- 1 cup roma tomato, chopped, about 2 tomatoes
- ½ cup onion, roughly chopped, about ½ large onion
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1-1 ½ tablespoons sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and place the uncooked quinoa, corn, chickpeas, black beans, red pepper, tomato, onion cumin powder, garlic, salt, pepper and adobe sauce inside, stirring until well combined.
- Pour in in the vegetable broth, stir well, and cover the pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours. Mine was perfect at 3 hours, so check it and make sure the quinoa isn’t burning.
- Once cooked, season to taste with additional salt and pepper and garnish with cheese and cilantro.
- I preferred the quinoa with 1 ½ tablespoons of adobo sauce, because I like a little bit of kick. If you’re very sensitive to spice, I would go with one tablespoon.
Source:Mexican Quinoa In The Crock Pot on Food Faith Fitness