Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Slow Cooker to the Rescue

Slow Cooker Balsamic Pork

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

This Slow Cooker Balsamic Pork will be a hit with your family, I promise. It takes a little bit of extra effort at the end to brown it in the oven but those crispy, sweet bits on top are worth it.

Slow Cooker Balsamic Pork

Ingredients

• 1½ - 2 pounds pork tenderloin
  • ½ cup water
  • maple spice mixture (or salt, pepper, garlic, basil, marjoram, ground mustard)
  • ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
  • ¼ cup packed brown sugar
  • ¼ cup water

Preparation

1. Rub pork with spice mixture. (I was lucky to find a spice mix called Harvest Maple at Harris Teeter. I've listed the spices included above in the recipe but you could also just use salt and pepper.)
  2. Put seasoned pork into the slow cooker and add ½ cup water. Turn on low and cook for 6-8 hours.
  3. Right before it's done add the vinegar, water and brown sugar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and simmer until it thickens about 5 minutes
  4. Turn broiler on low. Place rack in top third of the oven.
  5. Remove pork from slow cooker, place on a foil lined cookie sheet and gently shred with a fork into big pieces. Brush pieces with some of the balsamic glaze. Place under the low broiler and watch carefully. Broil it until it starts to brown to your liking. I left mine in for about 8 minutes but this will depend on your oven.
  6. Remove at least once to baste with more of the glaze. Serve with any remaining glaze on the side.

Recipe Tags

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!