This adaptation of Beef Goulash from my Grandma rocks!
Slovak Soul Food
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 lbs stew beef
- 3 tbsp bacon drippings
- 1 med onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups hot water
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 med/large carrots
- 24 oz baby red potatoes
- Crusty bread for mopping up the delicious gravy!
- Combine flour salt and pepper-put in a clean bag
- Shake beef in the flour mixture
- In a large stock pot brown beef in bacon drippings-remove
- Add onions and garlic to remaining fat and cook until tender
- Return browned beef to pot and cover with water
- Add crushed tomatoes, paprika, bay leaves, crushed red pepper and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hour
- Add carrots and potatoes and cook until tender
This is quintessential peasant comfort food!!!
I am an advertising photographer who is lucky enough to work with food. www.jefftholt.com
This is one of the first recipes I learned from my mom when I left for college and started craving for the Slovak dishes I grew up on. When you want to see a bunch of happy satisfied smiles follow these instructions.
On another note, I was friends with Matt Lauer at Ohio University. I was room mates with his childhood bud Brian Moylan. If whoever is reading this could pass this along…Tell him “Fuzz” from the Phase One says HEY!!! We had some good times above Carol Lee Doughnuts back in the day ;) !!!
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!