I love spring time produce and there is nothing more perfect than long green stalks of asparagus for a really quick meal. What is trending in the food world right now is shaved vegetables eaten raw, like carrots, Brussels sprouts, and asparagus. And the best thing about shaved vegetables, you can eat them raw, making them the perfect ingredient for light salads that can be served for lunch and/or dinner. In this recipe, a Limoncello vinaigrette is called for as a dressing for the salad. However, you can just use freshly squeezed lemon juice tossed with the shave asparagus for a truly paleo gluten-free salad.
Shaved Asparagus Salad With Limoncello Vinaigrette
- Yield: 4
- One pound large asparagus spears, washed, trimmed and peeled
- For the Vinaigrette: 1⁄4 cup limoncello
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Blood orange zest, for garnish
- Lemon zest, for garnish
- Working with 1 asparagus spear at a time, use a vegetable peeler to shave spears into long, thin shavings. Transfer to a medium bowl. The the tips will snap off as spears get thinner, so add them to the bowl as well.
- Whisk the limoncello, lemon juice, zest and mustard in a small bowl.Whisk in the olive oil and season to taste with salt.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over shaved asparagus and toss to coat. Divide asparagus salad among plates. Sprinkle orange an lemon zest over the salad and serve immediately.