Casseroles are comfort food. This casserole is a family favorite combining breakfast sausage, rice, veggies, and crunchy French fried onions. It's perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Sausage & Rice Casserole
- Yield: 6
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 30 min
- 2 c. water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c. parboiled or Jasmine rice
- 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage (not maple)
- 1 medium onion-chopped
- 3 stalks celery-chopped
- 2 cloves garlic-minced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1-2 c. French fried onion
- Bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage & drain any excess fat.
- Add onion, celery, and garlic. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in cream of chicken soup and cooked rice.
- Pour into a casserole or leave in oven proof skillet. Top with French fried onions.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until onions are crisp.